Sydney Cycling Club (SCC) welcomes potential new members.
Please note that SCC is a road bicycle riding club. We ride road racing bikes, with drop handlebars, clipless pedals etc. Riders in our bunches need to be able to go at a reasonable speed, for example at least 28kph, and sustain that for at least 1 hour. This can be checked by doing at least 7 laps on your own of Centennial Park in 1 hour.
We ask that you do the following:
- Please register for the introductory bunch skills ride. If you have never ridden in a bunch before we suggest you wait until the next intro ride before riding with the club.
- Complete and return the SCC TERMS AND CONDITIONS (or hand it up before a ride),
- At the beginning of a ride, introduce yourself to the bunch captain; and
- Then ride down the back of the bunch.
That way we can make sure you don’t get lost and stay safe, and get the idea as to how our bunches operate.
However, after riding with us for 2 weeks, we request that you join as a member if you wish to continue riding with us.
Please note that cycling has obvious dangers – accidents can happen at any time, at any place to any rider. Please see other examples of danger in cl. 2.1 of the SCC TERMS AND CONDITIONS – NonMember.
We don’t allow bikes with aero or tri bars in our bunches for safety reasons.
Please ensure that you read the SCC EtiquetteBook– it’s a good introduction to how we do our bunch rides.
Most days (especially in summer and weekends) there are a number of bunches with varying capacities. It’s always difficult to determine an appropriate speed -We recommend that you try a “slower” bunch first, and if appropriate move upward.
All SCC rides start from the centre of the park on Parkes Drive, the area near the Spruce Goose Diner, tables and chairs (see map) in Centennial Park. We start PROMPTLY at 6.00am on weekdays, and 6.30am on weekends
Weekend rides are as follows:
- Sat 0630hrs La Perouse (back by 0830hrs) which is approx 55kms
- Sun 0630hrs Sutherland/Waterfall (back by 0830/0930hrs) which is approx 60/90kms
Our weekday rides are:
- Tues 0600hrs La Perouse (back in Centennial Park by about 0715hrs)
- Wed 0600hrs Watsons Bay via Bondi (back by about 0715hrs)
- Thurs 0600hrs La Perouse (back by about 0715hrs)
- Fri 0600hrs Three Beaches – Bondi, Tamarama, Bronte (back by about 0715hrs)
We also do a regular ride to Akuna Bay once a month. Other SCC groups may ride other routes which will be announced in the weekly email newsletter or the Facebook group. There are also day tours and weekend tours, and a racing calendar.
All Sydney bunches stop for mechanicals and regroup at the top of climbs, and with the exception of A bunch rides, are all no-drop rides.